This presentation was by his brother. It was to commemorate the fact that the late maestro always performed at the Music Academy on 23rd December. The presence of his father added to the poignancy of the morning. Lots of lovely videos were played. Here are some salient points.
– People discouraged him for taking up a non mainstream instrument.
– Practised 14 hours a day
– In a video he gave credit to his father for everything.
– Initial the instrument had eight double strings that he changed to single four strings
– Father advised him to add 5th string for bass
– Pioneered its use in Carnatic music , made it mainstream in 45 years
– Never deviated from classical tradition
– 1999 – selva ganesh, Zakir Hussain, John McLaughlin and himself revived Shakti, later came others
– Youngest in Berlin Jazz Festival at age 12. Scheduled for 45…
View original post 351 more words